In May I woke up and decided that I would like to finish the drywall in our basement. This has been a project that my husband and I have been working off and on for several years.
We had everything drywalled but hadn’t taken the time to finish the drywall.
I started out with a very inconspicuous area so if I messed it up terribly it wouldn’t be too noticeable and
we he could fix it.
Well, long story short, I didn’t do too bad and was able to finish an area under the stairs, a hallway, a closet and my new craft room/office.
I got the back room, which was my craft room/office; completely cleaned out and then summer hit, the kids were home all day and that’s about as far as I got.
This was my office before I cleaned it all out.
It was a fun space. I had hung plenty of shelves for storage and tacked lots of the kids artwork to the walls.
Let me stop here and give you a word advice: when you tack artwork to unfinished walls and then decide to finish them, you will have to mud and sand all the holes…. let me repeat; you will have to mud and sand every single hole that you put into the walls.
I wish I had had this vision before I stuck all those tacks into our unfinished walls. I know better now and am being much more picky about what gets hung on the new finished walls.
So I got everything cleaned out of there and all the artwork taken down, which took forever.
I had to work on this room in shifts, or weeks rather, maybe it was more like months. Remember, the kids were home for the summer and to me summer means hanging by the pool, spending time outside and going on vacation. It doesn’t really mean working my tush off in the basement.
School finally started again and after a few weeks of getting back into our routine, I was able to head back downstairs and get some work done.
I got everything mudded and sanded and mudded and sanded again.
The chandelier that you can kinda see in the above picture I purchased at a garage sale for like $8. I know, what a steal right? I love it and since I moved my office/craft room to the larger room, I wanted my chandelier to go with me.
So I have been checking out Pinterest for ideas of another light fixture to go in this room. I found lots of great ideas but this light really jumped out at me.
I just love the look of it. When I checked the website that sells this particular lamp and realized it was almost $2000; I decided I would have to find something similar. That’s right, I said two thousand dollars.
I checked out some local home improvement stores in my area for something similar with no luck. I then checked out our local goodwill and an antique mall. I didn’t find this exact style but I found this:
It’s ugly but when I first saw it my thought was that it has potential. So I’m standing in the middle of the antique mall texting my husband to see if he thought we could spray paint it black. After much explaining and sending him a picture of it 3 times because the screen on his phone is so tiny he couldn’t see it; he finally said ‘yes’ he thought it would look good painted black and that it would be a good light for that room.
I love the big bulb most of all.
I showed it to my mother who said she loved the color and didn’t think it needs painted at all. I think she’s stuck in the 70’s.
I can’t wait to see how it looks once hubby is able to work his magic with the spray paint.
So today I got myself busy and got the walls primed. We have one area, the bay window area, that had to have the corners fixed so it didn’t get primed yet. I’m hoping to be able to sand those corners tomorrow (and they won’t need a 4th coat of mud) so I can get the entire room primed then hopefully painted by Friday.
We’ll see if that all works out. Sometimes home improvement doesn’t like to follow the time line we want it to.
The important thing is that I’m making progress. It’ll be finished one day and I can’t wait for that day to happen.